Pick a tool, any tool One of my tasks as Director of Earned/Owned media at Parallel Path is to over...
What is IGTV, and Can Brands Benefit?
Near the end of June 2018, Instagram announced its newest initiative: IGTV. This new feature can be found within the traditional Instagram platform, but it’s also a standalone app that can be downloaded directly.
Through IGTV, users can upload videos that are longer than 60 seconds, and the vertically-oriented, mobile-first layout is clearly designed with mobile users in mind. It might sound similar to Instagram Stories, but another key difference is the length of video content, as each video can be up to one hour long.
This new platform will allow brands and users to share more engaging content with their followers. And while there aren’t any advertising opportunities within IGTV right now, it likely won’t stay that way forever. At the moment, the opportunities for exposure lie within organic and influencer videos, and several major brands are already on board. To learn more about IGTV, keep reading.
Should your business use IGTV?
Generally, any channel with the reach of Instagram is worth testing. If the return on investment is strong when compared to other channels, that’s great news for your digital marketing efforts. If the ROI isn’t worthwhile, don’t get caught up in the hype!
Before you dive into IGTV, it also pays to take a look at the demographics of Instagram. Are your target consumers spending time here? For example:
- 59% of 18–29 year olds use Instagram
- 33% of 30–49 year olds use Instagram
- 18% of 50–64 year olds use Instagram
- 8% of people 65+ use Instagram
Further, 38% of online women use Instagram, compared to 28% of online men. Armed with this data, it’s clear that an Instagram marketing strategy might be particularly valuable when targeting younger, female audiences.
Using IGTV for branded video
The core value of IGTV is that it’s a mobile-first platform, and users already access content via an app versus a browser. If this fits in with your digital marketing strategy, the launch of IGTV could represent an effective means of increasing awareness around your brand.
In fact, by 2021, mobile video will account for 78% of all mobile data traffic.
How to get started with IGTV
If you’re ready to see how IGTV functions as an awareness-building channel for your brand, here’s how to get started:
- Download the IGTV app. Simply search for ‘IGTV’ in your device’s app store. You can also access IGTV by clicking the TV icon in the upper righthand corner of the app (next to the Direct Messages icon), but the app is specifically designed for video delivery.
- Create your channel. Log in using your company’s Instagram account, then look for the search bar. To the right of the search bar, you’ll see a small circular icon. Tap it to reach the Create Your Channel screen.
- That’s it! Now, you’re ready to create content for IGTV. Upload content directly from your device’s gallery, and don’t forget to track and test engagement.
Not surprisingly, Instagram has designed IGTV to be intuitive and user-friendly. Before you start posting videos, we suggest spending some time browsing through the different channels for inspiration. You’ll notice a wide range of content types — professionally edited videos, videos without any bells and whistles, and everything in between.
As you dive into IGTV, remember that it’s primarily an awareness channel. It may not lead to direct revenue, but it is a captivating way to cultivate brand loyalty while engaging followers.